DATA BASE REF NO: P 1026

 

NORTHANTS COUNTY RECORD OFFICE DOCS Re CASTOR (some)

SEARCH RESULTS at Northants County Record Office 2003 re Castor

 

X 5145 4 land tax Redemption Cetificates Dean and Chapter property in Peterbrorough, Castor, Maxey, Northborough and Longthorpe:

6 Feb 1800 £11.8.9d Castor

 

X 5145 5 Land Tax Redemption Certificate: Bishopric property in Werrington and Castor 1844 – 1847:

1847 – 71 acres at Castor belonging to Bishop in lease to Joseph Spencer, James Webster, Charles Stapleton at Werrington

 

X 5145 5 Land Tax Redemption Certificate:

1844 For Glebe and title land for hamlet of Sutton, Bishop of Peterborough as Rector £8.12s

proprietor Bishop, occupier Charles Palmer

 

Castor Hopkinson Sundry Papers:

1855 Hopkinson was tenant of Dean and Chapter

 

 

ZB32/51/1 Bate/Dean & Chapter at Castor, Ailsworth and Sutton:

Land held under Dean & Chapter, by William Bate as their lesee: house, homestead and garden, Home Close, wood, Woodfield, Great Meadow

 

1634 Castor Rectory -Hatton Finch Papers

 

1827 Castor Mill:

Dean and Chapter re Castor Mill 3 April 1827; repair by lesee, Mr Simpson repaired Mill, Fitzwilliam rents therefore reduced by 120pa.

 

1857 letter  Ecclesiastical Commissioners dated 13 Feb 1857 re Castor Glebe

Peterborough Chapter re land, bate the late lesee;

Rev G Andrews, Rector of Castor to request Commissioners to sell plot of land no 89 on the Tithe Map, on which a cottage formerly stood, for the purpose of erecting a house and farm building for the Rectorial Glebe; the old farmhouse having been converted into a Rectory, on the division of the Living of Castor, its severance from the See of Peterborough, and the Rector becoming resident.

 

Camden re Castor – description:

“Avon or Nen, running under a beautiful bridge at Walmesford (Wansford), passes by Durobrivae, a very ancient city, called in Saxon Dormancaster, which took up a great deal of land on each side of the river in both counties.

For the little village of Castor, which stands a mile from the river, seems to have been part of it, by the inlaid chequered pavements found there. And doubtless it was a place of more than ordinary note, in adjoining fields (which instead of Dormanton they call Normangate, such quantities of Roman coins are thrown up…the Forty Foot Way, down to Water Newton, if one may judge, to have been paved with a sort of cubical brick tiles>”

 

Northamptonshire Notes and Queries (NNQ)

NNQ 1886 Vol 1, p 175: The Bp of Peterborough D Howland , consecrated 16 mar 1583-4, died at Castor 1600

 

NNQ 1890 Vol 3 p 17: Sergeant family tomb at Castor

   “         “     “   p 212 ; Chapel-of-ease at Ailsworth