DATA BASE REF: C/S 1010
16th JUNE 2002
RE-DEDICATION OF SUTTON CROSS TO COMMEMORATE
THE GOLDEN JUBILEE OF QUEEN ELIZABETH II 2002AD
This site consists of the base and socket of a Saxon Wayside Cross, and was at one stage the meeting place of the Council of the Nassaburgh Hundred before the meeting place was changed to the Langdike Bush, and eventually a court-room in the Exeter Arms Helpston. The site is at the junction of the old Roman Road to York – Ermine Street and two important local roads. A Roman Fort in the field opposite originally guarded the junction. The site was restored to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Elizabeth II in 2002 by Sutton Parish Council.
SEQUENCE OF EVENTS:
11.30am Introduction by Keith Garrett, Sutton Parish Councillor.
And invitation to Sir Stephen Hastings MC to unveil plaque.
11.33am Sir Stephen Hastings MC to unveils plaque, followed by address.
11.35am Site blessed by the Rector.
11.37am Repair to Sutton Church.
11.45am Thanksgiving Service in Sutton Church.
GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!