DATA BASE REF: C/C 1059
THE CHURCH OF ST KYNEBURGHA OF CASTOR.
INVENTORY OF CHURCH FURNISHINGS 1558AD
(copied from Revd WD Sweeting's Book on the Parish Churches round Peterborough published in 1868 and put into modern spelling)
First: in the steeple four great bells. Also one Sanctus Bell
and two handbells.
Two silver-gilt Chalices
One Chalice of silver- gilt
One cross with foot of copper and gilt.
One bras holy water stock
Two small candlesticks of latten(brass compound)
One cope of black velvet. One cope of tawney velvet. One white cope of taffa damask bordered with tawney taffa. One other white cope of white fustian. One vestment of crimson velvet. Two dalmatics of old crimson velvet for the deacon and the sub-deacon. One vestment called the golden vestment. One whole suit (meaning a chasuble and dalmatic and tunicle) 0f white taffa damask. One god vestment of red and green silk . One old vestment of white taffa damask. Two vestments of green dornyx (Tournai cloth). One pall of coarse gold work. An altar hanging of red silk, with a fringe of white damask. A rare cloth of white silk. A fringe for an altar of red and purple velvet. A cross staff of copper and gilt which was delivered on to Doctor ap Harry (the previous Rector) and Sir Thomas Bolt is his executor. Two kerchiefs. A Bible and the Paraphrases. (Of Erasmus) Four corporals with two cloths. Three old red silk cushions. Three altar cloths of diap. Seven other of flaxen. Three diap cloths whereas Doctor ap Harry had one. Four plain bowls. Three flaxen sheets (Linen cloths for Holy Communion.) One old red fringe for an altar of red silk. A cross cloth of silk. A pyx of copper which Doctor ap Harry had. And Sir Thomas his executor. One censer of brass. Two lead cruets. Two great candlesticks of latten sold for 18(pounds/shillings?) which was put in the poor mens box.